Most zInspector users can complete the AppFolio integration process themselves by carefully following the video and steps outlined here (for properties/units) and here (for tenants/leases).
If you have very specific setup requirements or for some other reason want the zInspector team to set up the AppFolio sync on your behalf, please proceed with the article below.
This guide provides step-by-step instructions for an AppFolio president user (or a custom user role with equivalent privileges) to add the zInspector team as a user and provide sufficient permissions to complete the sync process as a courtesy on your behalf.
zInspector will only access information needed to perform the sync, and you can deactivate our user at any time—for instance, after you confirm that the sync is complete and correct.
Before you get started here, please email us using your zInspector-associated email address at email@example.com and let us know that you’d like us to perform the sync on your behalf.
Note: Only an AppFolio user with authority to edit (add, edit, or remove) users can complete the following process.
Creating a Temporary User in AppFolio
- Log in to your AppFolio account.
- From the Dashboard, go to the Account menu at lower right, and click New User.
- Enter the following information:
- Name – First: “zInspector” Last: “Setup”
- Email address – firstname.lastname@example.org (Enter your company or domain name in the blank: if your company name is Sunshine Property Management, the provided email address will be email@example.com.)
- User role – Select President.*
- Select View all Property Groups & Portfolios -OR- View these Property Groups & Portfolios Only as needed (Note: only included Groups and Portfolios can be synced).
- Click Save. zInspector Support will receive an email containing a link to your company’s AppFolio login page to create a password and log in for the first time.
*For certain accounts, the Property Manager profile is sufficient for us to perform the required actions to set up the integration. Increasingly, however, we have found that the Property Manager profile does not allow us to view and work with Scheduled Reports, central to the integration setup process, which is why we now specify the President profile for all invitations.
Deleting a Temporary User from AppFolio
Once you have confirmed that your sync is correct, if you no longer want zInspector to have access to AppFolio account, you can delete our username to remove our ability to access your account.
- At the upper right of the AppFolio screen, click your name and select General Settings from the drop-down.
- Under Users click Manage Users.
- Next to a user’s email, click the Actions icon, then click delete to remove their profile and login information.