zInspector document template creation gives you the flexibility to design the documents you want while ensuring they will be quick to fill out in the field on a mobile device. We also continue to make any usability improvements that can streamline the process.
Some crucial things to keep in mind when creating any document template:
- Document Title — All document version control is based on the Document Title. By changing the title of a document you are actually creating a new document, rather than a new version. If you need to change a document’s title, do so on the New Draft page, and click Save or Publish. You can then Delete or Make Inactive the document with the obsolete title.
- Text / Legal Language — Documents can contain a lot of legal compliance language that, in reality, is not required to be displayed on the form being filled out on the mobile app; such legalese, as well as custom text headers, clarifying language, and any other custom text, can be set to display on the final document only so as not to clutter up the app form. On the other hand, prompts and reminders to the person filling out the form can be set to display on the mobile app but not show up on the final document. To add text to a Document Template, just start entering text in the draft. You can use standard text tools like Bold, Underline, and Font Size.
- Fields —Fields are the “blanks” that will be filled in by your Agent or Technician using the mobile app. Fields may have three parts: Field Name, Field Options, and Field Operators. To insert fields in the document, select the applicable field and click Insert. Using System fields can be especially convenient because items such as Property Address, Inspector Name, Inspector, Email, and Date are filled in automatically.
- Field Format: Z:[[ field-type | field-text-to-display-on-mobile | [optional-operators] ]]
- Example — Property Address:
- Z:[[Property Address]]
- Example — Checkbox with Changing Text Based on Checked or Not
- Z:[[Boolean Field | Did you take front exterior photo(s)? | [Yes, I did.;No, I did not.] ]]
- Example — Select Field with Multiple Selection Options
- Z:[[Select Field | Have you tested all keys and remotes? | [Yes, I tested.;No, I did not test.] ]]
- Example — Smart Comments – to enable Smart Comments in Text or Paragraph fields, first Insert a field and then manually type in the “| [Smart]” operator.
Standard Field ExamplesZ:[[Paragraph | Desc. Overall Prop. Condition]]Z:[[Text | # of keys / remotes are at the property? ]]
Fields with Smart Comments EnabledZ:[[Paragraph | Desc. Overall Prop. Condition | [Smart] ]]Z:[[Text | # of keys / remotes are at the property? | [Smart] ]]
Note: You do not need to type in all this field formatting manually. Simply select the desired field type on the Document Template creation page, then edit the text within the field and options.
This video walks you through the creation of an example document.