Next time you log into the zInspector website, you may be surprised.
To keep pace with the zInspector 3 app, available now at the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, and to provide a modernized experience, the redesigned website offers nearly all the same functionality as the classic zInspector site. The new 3 app provides highly anticipated new customization capabilities and other great features, but for those who prefer the classic experience, rest assured that the original app will be available to use in tandem with the new one for the foreseeable future.
Some things look different, and others have moved around, but the site should offer a better, faster, and more intuitive experience overall. That said, if you have questions getting acclimated, let us know! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a fast response.
Missing the old site, and just need to get something done today quickly without learning something new? No problem—you can still access the legacy zInspector site by selecting Support then Legacy Site from the website main menu.
The look of the site has been refreshed and modernized.
In Timeline view, you may notice fewer activity-specific icons for activity types such as Maintenance and Marketing. In the future, we hope to allow users to fully customize their activity icons. For now, we have pared activity icons down to the essentials: media-generating activities show a camera icon and document and inspection activities show a page icon (for a submitted document) or a magnifying glass icon (for a submitted property inspection).
Some menu options have been relocated to be more intuitive or easier to access.
- Reach more settings directly from the Settings drop-down menu: for instance, the Billing, Accounting Integration, Report Settings, and Area Details are now quicker to access.
- Go to your Group page—where you can invite new group members and assign roles—from the Contacts drop-down menu, where you can still find your other contact types: Owners, Tenants, and Vendors.
- Access your Properties list as well as Archived Properties, Admin’s Property Page, and a list of completed Documents from the Properties drop-down menu.
Notice the dynamic green Save button that appears at lower right any time you make a settings change. Don’t forget to save!
Selecting a report from your Timeline now takes you directly to your Report Preview.
- Options: for primary report customization settings.
- Download: to download the report to your computer.
- Email/Distribute: to download the report to your native mail application; if none is available, it will simply download.
- XLS: to download spreadsheets associated with the report.
- ZIP: to email a folder containing the reports photos in original quality (see more on changes to “Download Zip” below).
- Share HTML: to send a report HTML link via email.
Zoom slider: located just below these buttons; use it to zoom in or out as desired.
At the lower-right side of the preview , you will see three buttons:
- Property (house icon) – Click here to go to gallery view for the property associated with the current report. Here you can find, edit, or delete photos permanently as needed.
- Share (arrow icon) – Click here to access the following options:
- Delete Activity: permanently remove the current activity.
- Change Property: re-associate an inspection with a different property.
- Copy condition values: convert a report from one type (move-out) to another (move-in).
- Change Activity Date: change the date of the inspection activity.
- Options (cog icon) – Click here to open Options (primary report customization settings).
Don’t see the what you need?
- Some options under Share will be moving to the Property button (just above) soon.
- Several options here must be enabled by an Admin user in Report Settings before they become available.
- If you can’t find the option you need for a given report, know that we are currently working to make these options available for all inspections performed on the classic and new app, and use the legacy site for the time being!
Changes to Download ZIP
In your Report Preview, Download ZIP is now just ZIP. The zipped folder of original-quality photos no longer downloads directly to your computer. Instead, it is sent to your default email address. Why? Because the new zInspector 3 app takes pictures and videos with much higher quality, the resulting zip file is now typically too large to generate within the memory of a browser window. If you prefer to download your Zip files in the legacy site (for inspections taken using the original app), you can do so, at least for the time being.
Along with the obvious property name, date, and activity type associations, your Span settings are the primary way that zInspector determines which photos/videos (media) to include in a given report by default. If you have your Span set to 0 (zero), only media for that date, property, and activity type will be automatically included in the report—unless additional Span settings instruct zInspector to do otherwise.
Some new settings have been added to make Span smarter and easier to adjust in specific situations, so we will cover the entire topic here.
Report-Specific Span settings – Span settings for an individual report can be specified by any user with sufficient privileges when viewing a report preview. Click the Options button (along the top or at the lower right of the report preview window) and scroll to the bottom of the Options menu. In addition to Span itself, the possible settings here are:
Doc ID Media –Enable this setting to include in the current report media taken for this specific inspection activity. Disable it to exclude media taken as a part of this specific inspection from the current report. For example, if your process requires you to print or export a copy of a report without photos (to review, to file, or to send to DocuSign) you may opt to disable the setting for now; you can enable it again later to send the report with photos as a PDF or HMTL link to a tenant or owner. This option applies only to reports generated on the new zInspector 3 app.
Non Doc ID Media – Enable this setting to include in the current report media taken during other inspection activities for this same property as available per the Span (number of days) setting: for example, supplemental Documents created in zInspector; or photos/videos taken in Quick Pictures mode, brought in from a different app, or uploaded manually within the specified number of days. Disable this setting to exclude these media from the current report. This option currently applies only to reports generated on the new zInspector 3 app.
All Activities – Enable this setting to include in the current report media taken during other inspection activities for this same property, as available per the Span (number of days) setting: for example, photos and videos taken during a Photo Inspection activity within the specified number of days. Disable this setting to exclude these media from the current report. This option currently applies only to reports generated on the classic zInspector app.
Activity Media – Enable this setting to include available media for this activity in the current report. Disable it to exclude available media for this activity from the current report. This option currently applies only to reports generated on the classic zInspector app.
Default Global Span settings — The default Span settings for all users’ reports on an account can be specified by an Admin user in Report Settings. Wondering which settings are right for you?
Doc ID Media – This setting is currently configurable as a global setting. Ultimately, it will not be configurable by default but enabled globally because for almost all zInspector users, it is most convenient to have a particular inspection activity’s photos included on the report by default. Once this setting becomes enabled by default for all zInspector accounts and no longer appears in Report Settings, it can still be disabled on a report-by-report basis: simply go to a specific activity report preview, select Options, and toggle off “Doc ID Media” to disable the setting for a given report. This option currently applies only to reports conducted on the new zInspector 3 app.
Non Doc ID Media – Whether you enable or disable this option by default depends on the type of inspections your team conducts, whether supplemental activities are usually performed in tandem with the primary inspection, and whether you want these other media types included by default or added on a case-by-case basis. This option currently applies only to reports conducted on the new zInspector 3 app.
All Activities – Whether you enable or disable this option by default depends on the type of inspections your team conducts, whether supplemental activities are usually performed in tandem with the primary inspection, and whether you want these other media types included by default or added on a case-by-case basis. This option applies only to reports conducted on the classic zInspector app.
Span – If your team’s inspections and other activities typically take place on a single day, then set Span to 0 (zero); if they tend to take place over several days or more, increase Span appropriately (the default is 7 days).
Editing, Excluding, & Deleting Inspection Photos:
- To edit photos in a report: hover over any photo in the report. An edit button will appear. Click on that to edit the tags, comment etc.
- To exclude photos from a report: Remove the checkmark from the photo(s) to be excluded by clicking on the orange checkmark at the upper left corner of the photo(s) in Report Preview before downloading or emailing the report.
- To delete photos permanently from zInspector. Go to Properties and click on the relevant property—or click on the Property button (house icon) at lower left of the report preview—then click on the relevant Activity containing the photos to delete. Here, in the classic gallery view, you can edit tags or delete photos individually or in bulk, as needed.
- To delete photos within the app (new zInspector 3). In the app, tap on the Gallery icon—it looks like two stacked photos. Recently taken photos are stored here. Tap on the edit (pencil) icon for the relevant photo, then tap on the delete (trashcan) icon to delete it from the inspection and from the website (permanently).
Portfolio view, which displayed your zInspector activities by property, is not a part of the new zInspector site. Timeline view, displaying activities by date, was found to be a more effective and intuitive way for users to access zInspector content. Timeline view includes all the search and filter capabilities needed to effectively find specific data. Select a specific property from your property list to see a photo-centric (portfolio-like) view of activity photos organized chronologically and by activity type.
Document Templates play a much more significant role in the core zInspector functionality than they did previously. While many veteran zInspector users worked with documents, custom documents, and custom templates on the classic site and app, the core inspection experience itself is now designed around templates as well, for one very good reason: our templates allow zInspector users to completely customize the inspection experience in the zInspector 3 app.
Reshape your inspection layout to suit your needs. Add additional condition values, such as Satisfactory (Needs Cleaning) or Preexisting Damage. Require a comment and/or photo for any detail marked as Damaged—or don’t. The powerful new template-driven inspection creation tool gives you the control you need to perform the inspections that work best for your team.
You can access Document Templates from the Settings drop-down menu. Default templates will be available, so you don’t have to customize anything if you don’t want to when transitioning over to the zInspector 3 app. For those who want to customize their templates ASAP, training materials for creating custom templates should be available soon (mid-October 2019), so check back!
Again, if you have questions or feedback, we want to know! You can email email@example.com for a fast response and tracking of your question or concern from submission to resolution.
And remember, you can access the legacy zInspector site by selecting Support then Legacy Site from the website main menu.