Photos vs. Videos – Which to Use & When
During an inspection, both photos and videos can be taken using the zInspector app.
Take photos to document property conditions clearly and distinctly, focusing on specific inspection items. Assign each photo to a Detail within the Area (for example, Light Fixture/Fan in Bedroom 1) and write Comments (“Broken shade!”) to make these photos valuable searchable data.
Take video clips to document inspection items in motion, provide a quick panoramic shot of an entire area, or capture sound associated with an inspection item.
A few things to note about taking zInspector videos:
- You may need to Enable Documents and Video in Settings to switch from Photo to Video mode.
- Each video clip is limited to 30 seconds, at which point the video stops recording automatically; you then have the option to retake the video or use it as is.
Not needing to do a complete inspection? Use Photo Inspection to take photos or videos for select areas of a property. This mode is best for documenting specific tasks and events (such as posting a notice, requesting a repair, or noting an unexpected property condition during a leasing appointment) rather than a comprehensive inspection.
For a quick walkthrough of a Photo Inspection, see Perform a Photo Inspection.
Tips for effective photos:
- Use Mark Up mode to draw on photos that you have just taken to draw attention and add clarity as needed.
- Assign details and writing comments to increase the worth of your photos as searchable items for your entire user group.
- Photos may also be associated with a Task or Action Item, for example, to prompt a repair.