zInspector offers an intuitive and user-friendly inspection template editor. While templates can be customized by any user with sufficient privileges who carefully follows these instructions, it is primarily recommended for advanced users with experience in zInspector.
To start customizing a template, simply go to Settings → Document Templates, choose the template you wish to edit and press on the New Draft icon (highlighted below):
When you open an inspection template in the editor, notice the Inspection Activity field near the top. This field primarily determines whether a template will be available for one of your group members to perform on the zInspector 3 app or for your invited tenants to perform on the tenant app. Additionally, it allows you to show (or continue to hide) and partially customize the title for the completed inspection document. The Inspection Activity field will look something like this:
Z:[[Inspection Activity | Inspection Type | [Move In;Hide] ]]
In the example above | Inspection Type | is simply text introducing the template title, which is hidden by default; you can change it if you wish (for example, to “Property Inspection”).
This portion [Move In;Hide] contains two parts:
- The part following the semicolon (“Hide”) determines whether the template title will appear at the top of the inspection template and on the completed document. For example, the title in this case would be Inspection Type: Move In by default or perhaps Property Inspection: Move In if you changed the intro text per the example above.
- The portion preceding the semicolon indicates the actual inspection type (in the example, Move In). The inspection type could be set to any of the following:
- Move In
- Move Out
- Inspection (this refers to any other type of inspection, such as Pet Inspection, Violation, Annual Inspection, or Smoke Detector Inspection)
- Pre-Inspection (for example, a Pre-Move Out Walk Thru)
- Tenant Move In
- Tenant Inspection (refers to any other tenant-completed inspection, such as Tenant Annual Inspection, Tenant Periodic Inspection, or Tenant Renewal Inspection).
Note: Templates designated as Tenant Move In or Tenant Inspection will not appear in the zInspector 3 app but rather in the zTenant app, which is zInspector’s companion app, to which tenants are invited to perform inspections. When testing a Tenant Inspection, you can temporarily remove the word “Tenant” from the inspection type field so that it simply reads “Inspection.” This will make it easy to test the template on your zInspector 3 app. Once you create the template, test it, and determine it is ready for use by your tenants, you can go back and add the word “Tenant” again so it reads “Tenant Move In” or “Tenant Inspection” in the appropriate section. This change will ensure the template is available when you are ready to invite a tenant to perform it.
- Before you begin customizing any template, always make sure you have removed the following field on the very top of the template: Z:[[System | [SYSTEM_DOCUMENT] ]]
If you do not remove this field, you won’t be able to save your customizations.
- To view the recent changes you made to a template in the zInspector 3 app, don’t forget to tap the Sync (cycling arrows) button in the app’s main menu bar.
- Template customization is currently available on all paid accounts. This may be subject to change.
Questions? Email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.