Capture Every Surface of a Room with One Tap!
The 360 cameras are very easy to use and can definitely be shared among multiple zInspector users. Once set up, you will simply stand the camera in a middle of a room on a tripod, leave the room to be out of line of sight, and make a single tap on the zInspector mobile app. And that’s it: every surface of the room is captured instantly.
Sample 360 Property Inspection Reports
Note: All 360 images in provided sample reports were taken with the lowest cost SC series camera. We recommend the V series camera for improved performance and reliability.
Take your 360 images to speed up your inspections but re-use them for Virtual Tours!
Purchase a Camera
- NEWEST – Theta V – Best in low-light, fastest, most reliable (< $400 on Amazon).
- BALANCED – Theta S – Better photos, heavier but faster than SC (< $250 on Amazon).*
- ECONOMICAL – Theta SC – Used for all zInspector demos. SC model is NOT recommended. Too many reliability issues. (< $200 on Amazon). *
- ESSENTIAL ACCESSORY – Tripod — Great for phone-video recordings too (< $20 on Amazon).
*Recommendation: You may wish to update the camera firmware before using the Theta SC and Theta S, especially if you experience any connection problems.
Disclaimer: Pricing may change. Current as of September 2019.
Left to right: Theta SC, Theta S, Theta V
IMPORTANT: Do not install the Ricoh software / app. zInspector handles memory and photo management and report embedding automatically.
- Watch the setup video here.
- Update camera firmware (as needed).
- You should be able to use your 360 camera right out of the box. However, the Ricoh cameras often ship with original factory firmware, so updating the firmware is encouraged—and definitely recommended for the SC and S series—but not required (though it may resolve camera-to-app connection issues for certain users). To update the firmware, you will need to download a tool onto a PC or Mac: here’s the link.
- Ready the zInspector app to work with the camera.
- Begin your inspection in zInspector.
- Switch to your mobile device settings and turn on WiFi.
- Pick the Theta camera as the WiFi router and enter the numeric portion of the name for the access code.
- Return to your inspection: it’s 360 time!
- Tap the 360 icon to take a photo for any Area; it looks like this:
- An image takes approximately 15 seconds to transfer to the device; in the meantime, feel free to walk the camera / tripod toward your next setup.
- Use the Gallery button to look at your recently taken 360 images. Just move your phone around—it displays like virtual reality!
- In normal operation, since your device is not connected to a property’s WiFi, your device will connect to the camera when it is powered on.
360 Images In Inspection Reports
- 360 Panoramic photos work just like standard photos or videos. An image thumbnail (necessarily distorted) is embedded into the PDF inspection report as shown in the above report. From this report, you can view the full 360 tour by clicking on the ‘360 Viewer’ option.
- You can email tenants or owners either a PDF or HTML link property inspection report. Get more information than ever in a fraction of the time for your move-in and move-out inspections.
Using the 360 Viewer
- The 360 Viewer allows the user to click and drag on different areas of a photo to see different views of a room or area. This feature enables users to have full documentation of a property and also view different angles from their own computer!
- 360 images are optimized on the website to load in about 5 seconds!
360 Images are now in Hi-Resolution!
- 360 images can be viewed in high resolution on any mobile device using zInspector. On the website, 360 images, inspection reports, and virtual tours are presented in high-resolution as well.
- It may take a few minutes for images to load in high resolution after they upload to zInspector.
- Be sure the camera is fully charged.
- A single full battery charge should last for numerous inspections.
- The app alerts you if the 360 camera battery drops below 30% during an inspection.
- Camera charging is not compatible with most USB hubs (devices with multiple USB ports).
- Be sure the light on the camera indicates a solid WiFi signal. If the signal is flashing, the camera is not connected to any mobile device.
- Be sure the camera is set to camera mode and not video mode as indicated by the lowest icon on the camera.
- WiFi Smart Switching / WiFi Assist / Auto Switch Between WiFi & Mobile – Since your mobile device will not actually be connected to the internet by WiFi, it may be trying to switch to mobile data in the background even though this is not displayed as the connection type on the device. You can disable mobile data usage for a given app on most mobile devices. Some mobile devices may attempt to switch to mobile data even if mobile data has been disabled.
- WiFi will not connect – To reset the WiFi password on the camera, press down on the WiFi button (middle button on the side) for about 10 seconds. Then turn the unit back on. Use the default password as shown in the setup video.
- Multiple Connected Devices – If the camera icon light is solid but you cannot take a picture, be sure you do not have another mobile device that is already connected to the camera via WiFi. Only one mobile device should be connected to a camera at a time.
- Red Dot/Light. You may notice a red dot/light artifact in the image: under certain light conditions, the camera can experience this bug, as reported by multiple users.
- Still having issues? Try updating the camera firmware here.