Sync Your Appfolio Property / Unit List Daily & Automatically
With zInspector, you can set your Appfolio properties to sync every day, automatically.
Sync features are available only to Business and Enterprise Plan account holders.
Appfolio Sync setup is quick and easy:
- Generate a Custom Unit Directory Report in Appfolio.
- Manually Import the Custom Unit Directory Report into zInspector.
- Create a Scheduled Report in Appfolio to Sync this Custom Report with zInspector Daily.
- Enable the Sync in zInspector.
The video below provides step-by-step instructions for setting up your Appfolio Property Sync.
A detailed written walkthrough follows the video.
Note: You will need Admin permissions in zInspector and Property Management (or better) permissions in Appfolio to set up the sync.
STEP 1: Generate the Report in Appfolio
1. In Appfolio, go to Reporting, then Reports, and open the Unit Directory.
2. Customize the report with the following selections:
- In the Filters tab, select Show Active Units.
- In the Columns tab, check only the following boxes (12 total):
- In the Grouping tab, select Group rows by Category: and select Property.
3. Click Update to generate the report.
4. Select Actions, Save Layout, then Make a copy of this report called, enter a name (e.g., “zInSync”), and click Save.
5. Select Actions, then Export as CSV.
Note: Do not open the downloaded CSV file—you could change its internal formatting. If it opens automatically upon download, disable this default in your browser or spreadsheet program (e.g., Excel) and re-export the CSV file.
STEP 2: Import the Report into zInspector
1. On the zInspector website, go to Settings > Accounting Integration.
2. Select AF (Appfolio) from the drop-down.
3. Click Import / Sync ID.
4. Select Click to Perform Manual Import.
5. Drag and drop the previously exported/downloaded CSV file into the upload dropzone or click within the dropzone to select the file by its location on your computer .
- The file will be named “unit_directory…” rather than “zInSync” (or whatever you named it in Appfolio). Have you synced before? If so, you may see multiple “unit_directory…” files in your Downloads (default destination) folder, so just choose the most recent one.
6. Use the toggles to select default areas for SF (single-family) and MU (multi-unit) areas.
- Don’t select Bedroom and Bathroom— they import automatically.
- Keep default area selections to a minimum; only select areas very common to most of your properties.
- An example: select Laundry Room for single-family but not for multi-unit residences; this area is uncommon for the latter property type.
- It is easier to add areas in zInspector later than to remove ones you don’t need.
7. Leave the box for Archive if not in the File unchecked (optional).
- When the box is checked, any units removed from your Appfolio report to be automatically archived in zInspector during the next sync. Because it can cause units to disappear from your property list, we recommend not enabling this feature. We much prefer to archive properties manually in zInspector as needed—but it’s up to you.
8. Select your preferred Naming Options for Single Family and Multi-Unit properties.
- For Single Family, we use Property Name.
- For Multi-Unit, we use Property Name ‘Unit’ Unit Name so that “Cherry Hill 6” in Appfolio becomes “Cherry Hill Unit 6” in zInspector.
- If your Multi-Unit property names in Appfolio already contain the word “unit,” select Property Name Unit Name instead so that “Cherry Hill Unit 6” doesn’t import as “Cherry Hill Unit Unit 6.”
- Additional Naming Options are available—choose what suits your needs.
9. Click Preview, and review your Sync Preview; make sure it looks good (explained below).
10. Finally, click Import.
How should my Sync Preview look? It depends. If this is your first—or first major—Appfolio sync, an accurate preview may show many Properties/units to be added and no Properties/units in sync. On the other hand, if you or a group member has previously synced many units from Appfolio, the opposite could be true—few properties to be added and many already in sync. Not seeing as many synced properties as you’d expect? You likely chose a poor Naming Option. Simply go back, select a different one, and preview the report again. Remember that any sync conflicts remaining after the initial import can be easily merged using zInspector’s Merge Tool.
STEP 3: Create a Scheduled Report to Finalize the Sync
1. On the zInspector website, return to Settings > Accounting Integration.
2. Click Import / Sync ID.
3. Copy the Scheduled Report Email Address: sync+afunit_[customID]@zinspector.com (see screenshot below).
Note: Import / Sync ID is the most reliable place to obtain this custom email address, which is unique to your zInspector account. The Appfolio Sync video guide shows an alternate source—in the Manual Import tool window under Options—but during first-time Appfolio sync setup, the email address might not actually be listed there.
4. In Appfolio, go to Reporting, then Scheduled Reports, and select New Scheduled Report.
5. In the Schedule Name field, enter the saved report name (e.g., “zInSync”).
6. Select the saved report from the Saved Reports drop-down.
7. Select the CSV Format.
8. Paste the copied email address into the Recipients field.
9. Enter text in the Message field as needed.
10. Set the Frequency to Daily.
11. Click Save.
STEP 4: Enable the Sync in zInspector
1. On the website, return to Settings –> Admin Settings –> Accounting Software Integration.
2. Click Enable near the bottom of the screen. (If you previously synced to Appfolio, you may not have to do this again).
3. Notice that Status has changed from Disabled to Enabled—and it’s confirmed: you’re in sync!
**Not seeing your Last Sync/Change status update? Your Last Sync/Change status notification may not update once you’ve enabled the sync until the next scheduled (morning) sync, and sometimes even once the sync has occurred, this notification might not update on its own the first time.
If your Last Sync/Change status shows as Never in one of these circumstances, or if you wish to force sync your Appfolio Units at any time, follow these steps:
- In Appfolio, click on Reporting, then Reports.
- Scroll down to Saved Reports, and select the saved Unit Directory that you’ve previously synced with zInspector (e.g., “zInSync”).
- When the report opens, click on Actions then Email…
- In the Customize Report window, paste your Import/Sync ID into the Recipients and Email Body fields (make sure it begins with afunits, not aftenants!)
- Select CSV format.
- In the Email Subject, enter the name of the saved Unit Directory (e.g., zInSync).
- Click Send.
After about five minutes, Refresh your Accounting Software Integration page in zInspector. You should see the Last Sync/Change status notification is updated with a real date and time, reflecting this latest force sync.
**Notice some properties missing from the sync? One of the Columns you selected earlier in Step 1, Property Name is an essential Appfolio field required for syncing your Appfolio unit data correctly: any row in the unit report containing a blank Property Name field will not be imported.
To easily determine if any of your properties have not synced for this reason, go to the Accounting Integration page and simply hover your cursor over the Last Sync/Change field:
- If nothing happens—congratulations, you have no blank Property Name fields interfering with your sync.
- If a message “There are properties with blank names in the report that will not be imported” appears, we advise you to add any missing property names in Appfolio.
- If the message “Tenant with blank email cannot be imported” appears instead, a similar situation is occurring with your Tenant / Lease Sync, and you should refer to the corresponding article for more information.
A screenshot illustrating this situation is provided here:
If you are having trouble with the sync, zInspector can help. For more information, please email email@example.com.
Related Content: View our support article and video to set up your Appfolio Tenant / Lease Sync.