Changes to existing properties can be made from the zInspector app or website. Some changes can only be made on the website, and some changes there can only be made by an Admin user.
On the zInspector App
Use the mobile app to edit Properties/Units in the following ways:
- Add New Areas
- Edit Area Descriptions
- Change Area Groups
- Delete Areas
To Add a New Area
Tap + Add at the bottom of the screen then select the desired Area from the drop-down.
To Add or Edit an Area Description
Tap on the Description… field below any Area title (to add a new area description) -OR- click on the current description text (to edit an existing one). It is important to provide Area descriptions for duplicate room types, such as bedrooms and bathrooms, to provide clarity when inspecting the property and later when viewing inspection reports.
To Change Area Groups
Tap and hold on an Area and drag it up or down. By default, Areas are listed alphabetically, but you can change this order to define the flow of the inspection. For example, you may start with the Front Yard, proceed to the Entry, then Living Room, Kitchen, etc.
To Delete an Area
Tap the trashcan item for that Area’s row.
Important: Be sure to finalize any changes. At the bottom of the Edit Areas screen, tap Preview then tap Save.
On the zInspector Website
While the mobile app specializes in capturing information for the user out in the field, the website allows greater freedom for property customization and decision-making from the office.
Use the website to edit Properties/Units fully. You can:
- Edit property information.
- Add, edit, or delete areas.
- Archive, restore, or delete properties (Admin users only)
First, go to the website Properties page.
To edit property information
Tap the Edit Property icon (looks like a pencil) for any property row. In the Edit Property popup you can:
- Change the Property Name and Address
- Specify the unit as a Common Area (as needed, specifically for a multi-unit complex)
- Add miscellaneous property notes
- Click the Show All Fields button to show every available property information field.
To add, edit, or delete Areas
Scroll right as needed and click on the View/Edit Areas link for any property.
- Add Areas by clicking the + Add New button.
- Edit Areas by selecting a different Area type from a row’s drop-down menu, enter a new Area Number or Area Group for a row, or add or edit an Area’s Description.
- Delete an area by clicking on the Delete (trashcan) icon for any row.
- Make sure to Save any changes.
To Archive and/or Delete Properties (Admin only)
An important note: Don’t delete properties unless absolutely necessary! zInspector helps you keep a well-documented history of all your properties. Even for those properties you may no longer own, manage, or work on, it can be a good idea to retain rather than permanently destroy historical information.
Also remember: Until a property is archived and also deleted, it will count toward your account’s property limit (relevant to free accounts, which are allowed a maximum of five properties; all paid accounts can have an unlimited number of properties).
However, if you are sure you want to delete a property, do the following (or see this video):
Archive a Property
- Go the Admin’s Property Page.
- Find the property/properties you want to archive (use the search field to filter the list as needed) then:
- to archive a single property or one property at a time, click on the Archive icon (looks like a red bankers box) for that row.
- to archive multiple properties or many at once, select individual rows’ checkboxes, and/or the Select All checkbox (the checkbox in the column header of the table) then click Data > Archive.
Restore or Delete an Archived Property
Archived properties can be left in the Archived folder, restored to the Property List, or deleted permanently.
Click on the Archived tab to view all archived properties. Find the property or properties you want to Delete or Restore, then:
- to delete or restore a single property (including its history): click on the Delete (red trashcan) or Restore (green trashcan) button in that property’s row.
- to delete or restore multiple properties at once, select the checkboxes at the left end of the desired property rows, then click Data > Verify Media. When prompted, click Continue. The Verify Media tool will examine the selected properties for the presence of inspection data.
- For archived properties with no inspection data (i.e., “No” in the Media? column), select the row checkboxes, as needed, then click Data > Archive or Data > Restore, as desired.
- For archived properties containing inspection data (i.e., “Yes” in the Media? column), click Data > Restore to restore them. To prevent the unintended loss of inspection data, archived properties containing inspection data cannot be deleted in bulk. To delete a single property that has inspection data, click on the Delete (red trashcan) or Restore (green trashcan) button in that property’s row.