What is version control, and why do I care?
Let’s take a simple process example like Smoke Detector Inspection. In a very brief time period, the laws changed in many states. First, you needed one in each hallway. Then, you also needed a Carbon Monoxide detector. Then, you needed a smoke detector in each bedroom. Now, detectors need 10-year batteries. In California, for example, these laws changes occurred in just a few years.
Trying to update your business paperwork to accommodate these types of rapid changes is next to impossible—and expensive. Whether you use duplicate forms, custom printing, or other methods, small changes prove time-consuming and costly.
With zInspector, to change an active document, do the following:
- Find / Create New — Find the document you want to change in Active Templates; click New Draft.
- Drafts — Make your changes. Click Save to save it as a draft. Your pending document is available on the Drafts tab where it is ready for you to complete your edits.
- Publish — When you are ready, click Publish at the bottom of the New Template page.
- Office Updated — Your new document is made active by zInspector and the obsolete one is archived instantly; your office forms are updated to the latest and greatest.
- Instant History — All documents remain available and searchable, thanks to zInspector’s cloud storage, and sport a version number: you’ll know what’s current and what’s changed.
- No Mistakes — Make an error? No problem, just go back to your Inactive Template and convert an old document to a new one. With zInspector Version Control, you can never overwrite a Published Document; you simply just increment the version. So don’t worry: improve your business without the risk of overwriting and deleting!
- Proprietary and Confidential — Rest assured, your zInspector templates belong to you. zInspector will not sell, provide, or distribute your templates or processes to anyone else.